Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Feedback. I Needs It.

Hello all.

I've recently been trying to decide what my next screenplay should be. I always have several ideas running through my head and it helps when I know what ideas people like.

This is an idea I've had for a couple months and enjoy it highly, but only recently have been able to make it make sense, if that makes sense. I've been able to develop it more and now can see it working as a full length movie. Enough jibber jabber, here's a rough pitch:

A slacker accidentally locks himself in a fallout shelter and survives a nuclear holocaust. After a small amount of time, he is released, is under the belief that he is the last living person, and tries to rebuild society with the help of a misunderstood zombie. After hearing a cry for help over a radio from a group of survivors, one of which being a girl he had a crush on pre-holocaust, the slacker decides to travel cross country and find them. Hopefully, he'll get there before her newly mutated boyfriend, who is extremely jealous and hungry for human flesh.

It's a post-apocalyptic road trip movie with laughs, drama, horror, love, Thunder Domes, and copyright infringements.

The title:

Apocalypse Yesterday

I imagine it as a mixture of movies like Mad Max and the films of Judd Apatow. You never see these type of "end of the world" sci fi movies from the point of view of someone with a sense of humor...or is more pathetic and easy to laugh at.

So, what are your thoughts? Is it funny? What do you like/dislike? Do you think this premise would be a good next script? Oh, and how long would one have to wait before they could reenter a recent nuclear explosion site?

I'm trying to write something that's more high concept, but at the same time is marketable and mainstream, especially seeing that I would like to return to Pitchfest this year.

Thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. Isn't High Concept the same as mainstream? How many art films can you simplify into one sentence.

    As for the premise, I would be interested in reading the script cause there's great ways to be imaginative and stuff but the synopsis is kinda confusing. Is the misunderstood zombie the mutating boyfriend? Why is that zombie not eating the slacker's brains anyways? Where's the S&M imagery of Mad Max?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. High concept means different things to different people, honestly. That's something I learned from Pitchfest. It can be mainstream or art house, but must be easy to sell to a wider audience (meaning most of the time it will be mainstream).

    Also, why would I describe the misunderstood zombie as her mutated boyfriend? I would continue to call him the misunderstood zombie, if that was the case. He's misunderstood because he doesn't want to eat human flesh. I think you're trying to make it more difficult than it needs to be.

    Based purely off of what you've read, should I continue?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But that little bit raised more questions than answers. And I rather just see mutants instead of zombies cause zombies seemed really forced in this scenario.

    But yeah, continue cause at the very least I want to see the post-apocalyptic world through your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a month late, but I think this could be really funny. It's like Shawn of the Dead (one of my favorites) but with the cross country trip of Wristcutters: A Love Story....or at least that's kind of what I envisioned in my head as I read your description.

    I like the idea of vegetarianish zombies who don't eat human flesh. That could be quite funny!

    Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete