Wednesday, March 24, 2010

SXSW 2010 - Day Two


For my experiences from my first day at SXSW, click this link:

SXSW 2010 - Day One

My second day of South By was just as short as the first. I had an audition earlier in the afternoon and couldn't make it to any of the films because of that (totally worth it, I hope). I was, however, extremely excited for this day at SXSW because of one particular film: Cyrus.

I have been a huge fan of the Duplass brothers since my friend Kyle Cates and I happened to watch a movie from the library called The Puffy Chair by pure chance on one particular movie night in Erikson hall on campus. It was a such a simple film, such a beautiful little film, such an inspiring film that really blew me away. They did so much with so little! I went on to write The Station because of that inspiration (wish I had a finished product to show everyone...) and have been trying to think of ideas that can be as easily made as that flick ever since.

The Duplass' inspired a movement called "mumblecore" which is, essentially, films that are shot with low grade equipment, with little money, and are mostly improvised by the actors. This movement has exploded over the past few years and has given voices to some great filmmakers who were probably unable to make their films prior to said movement.

I don't want to get too far into the Duplass bros. and their work seeing that I want to write a blog specifically highlighting that in one of my filmmaker blogs (coming soon...). What we're here to discuss is their latest and greatest (which is also their first studio film), Cyrus!

The Films

-----------------------------------------

CYRUS


Now, before I get into the film itself, let me get into the happenings before the film. I came to the Paramount (where most of the big films premiered at the festival) with the mindset that we were just not going to get in. I saw what happened with Kick Ass and I didn't want to get my hopes up at all. Ami and I met up with Bayless who was already in line in front of the Paramount for Micmacs. As much as I would have liked to have seen that film, I was much more concerned with Cyrus which was my most anticipated film of the festival. Seriously. I was more excited for this film than even Kick Ass.

So, as everyone entered the theater for Jeunet's latest, Ami and I shuffled to the front of the line to wait for Cyrus...three hours before the film would actually start. Hooray.As we waited, Ami and I met a new friend named Kathe and we relished in our love for Ain't It Cool News and their free screenings. As we chatted, we noticed the lines were getting longer. The crowds were getting bigger. My hopes were getting smaller.

As the clock ticked closer to showtime and the people who had just witnessed Micmacs (have heard mixed things on that one. Still want to see it though) exited the theater, the volunteers for SXSW started to roll out the red carpet. I did not know who to expect. I was just crossing my fingers for the Duplass brothers, but what I got was so much more. Not only were the Duplass brothers there, but John C. Riley, Jonah Hill, and even Edward Norton, who wasn't even in the movie, walked the carpet towards the theater as my geekiness started to swell up. I wanted to see this movie so bad and wanted to hear them talk about this movie so bad. I was ready to kill a badge holder to get in.


Rumors started to spread about the lines wrapping around the building. I was going to be extremely upset if I didn't get into this film and passed up the opportunity to see Micmacs. As my spirit got crushed more and more by people worrying and press getting into the theater and this, that, and the other, a glimmer of hope appeared. One of the volunteers for the film must have heard us worrying because she assured us that we would get in. "Oh, no worries," she said. "This theater holds 1,200 people."

I looked her in the face and I said, "I swear to God, if you're lying to me..." She told me she wasn't and sure enough, we were soon walking in to the Paramount! Glory be to the highest!

After a quick introduction to the film by the Duplass brothers (SQUEE!), the film started.


Cyrus is my favorite film from SXSW. The Duplass brothers have taken a concept probably seen in countless movies, television shows, books, and various other forms of entertainment and have made it their own. Everything feels so real. The relationships are believable (yes, even Riley and Marisa Tomei). These characters feel like real people. The documentary filmmaking only helps in that it makes us feel like flies on the wall as we witness these incredibly awkward, extremely hilarious, and amazingly realistic scenes unfold.

The Duplass bros. aren't known for their complex story lines. I mean, lets be honest, their films prior to and including Cyrus aren't wholly original. What sets them apart is the acting and the actors they get involved with their film. Their films are so simple, but these actors bring so much to the table and make them enjoyable. Mark Duplass did that for Puffy Chair, Greta Gerwig did that for Baghead, and now Jonah, John, and Marisa are doing that for Cyrus. I would also say that the Duplass' films have great dialogue, but seeing how so much of their movies are improvised, it's hard to give credit to them alone. I can, however, give them credit for being so bold and allowing the actors to make something so completely organic.

People worried that Jonah Hill is playing the same character he supposedly plays in every movie, do not fret. This is Jonah being straight. Sure, the guy's fucking hilarious throughout, but when drama is called for, the kid does it well. Hell, everyone does great. No one is off in the slightest in this flick. My only regret is that Mark Duplass didn't have a part. I love that guy.

Overall, this film is hilarious and fun. It's awkward as all get out, but it's also very enjoyable. I cannot wait to see what the Duplass' do next (something being produced by Jason Reitman I hear).

I give the film a perfect 10 out of 10.

After the film, we were graced with one of the worst Q&As I've been a part of this side of The Boy In the Striped Pajamas premiere in Indianapolis. Jonah Hill even jokingly called some guy an asshole for his awkward question he asked ("Did you sign onto the project because you knew Marisa Tomei would be wrapping her legs around you?"). I was just embarrassed for everyone asking questions and it made me miss my midnight screening of Monsters (luckily I got another chance...).

Overall, though, a great night. On to day three!


No comments:

Post a Comment